Sunday 18 December 2016

10 tips about helping out at a convention: 7 Weeks to True Believers

So this probably the most common question I get asked as I've helped out at multiple events either by hosting panels/workshops or assisting with cosplay area/masquerades, judging and backstage. I've done makeup for guests, done the lunch run for others and helped fixed issues when they have arisen. 

I in all honestly ended up helping out by accident back in 2009 at one London MCM when there was a dehydrated cosplayer and I then ended up giving out water through the whole masquerade. Further along, I began helping organise backstage, communicating with the tech team when needed during masquerades. I also helped on the cosplay and repair desks which for anyone has done this, I salute you.

I think it might have been a year later and I started hosting panels and workshops. I was then invited to other events after people had either seen or heard that I was running these. I will be writing a how to host a panel/workshop blog in my next instalment as it will make this post super long. 

So let's jump right into it. 

1) Check out an events website! It's literally that simple, they might have a sign-up form or an email address for you to leave your details under gopher or steward. Though be prepared your first event you probably won't get the glamorous jobs.

If you can't see a form then there is no harm in contacting the event to see if there is anything available. If no, don't be saddened there are so many events to apply for. 

2) Be prepared that you will probably have to buy a ticket for the event. Not all events will offer this for free as the majority of helpers help on a volunteer basis. Though some events might refund your ticket only if you complete your role to satisfaction. 

The likely chances are your first event you might not get the glamorous role you wanted. So do prepare for that and it can be really hard work that sometimes is more stressful than an actual paid job.
This is also related to travel costs and hotel/accommodation, as not all events will provide this free of charge or will even book this for you. 

3) You need to have patience. Especially with cosplayers as they can get very angry and can be very hard to deal with. This is usually because at cons the cosplayer, for example, has either not eaten, drank, slept, their costume has broken or has fallen out with someone along the way. I have dealt with someone extremely rude at every event I have ever helped at. 

 Yes, some people will be nasty, however, your team and some lovely attendees will make your day. From a simple a thank you or making someone smile can really make the event.  If you have worked in retail it is very similar to dealing with customers. You've been warned.

4) Bring either deodorant or some form of nice scent. Conventions can get hot, so people get very sweaty and very smelly fast and this does include you I'm afraid. I do recommend freshening up when possible, sadly you cannot stop attendees from being stinky but you can make sure you are not one of them.

I know this sounds silly, but I always carry deodorant with me and actually while helping out I've been asked if I had any by attendees and cosplayers to help them fall into the stink zone. 

5) Always have emergency water that is for both you and an attendee if possible or at least you know where you can get some. Cosplayers especially have terrible habits of going without water due to restricted costumes or stupidly ignoring their body needs this to live. I've dealt with collapsing dehydrated cosplayers or ones throwing up at the majority of events I've attended.

You may also find yourself might be limited to breaks if the event is busy and understaffed and you can find yourself melting. I always pack my suitcase with either water or even little Capri suns to just get me through an event if I know breaks might be difficult. So get yourself prepared.

6) Do you have a skill, knowledge or work experience that could use for a role in an event? Then let it be known if you do have it. If you have experience with managing people, marketing or sales then maybe you might be able to use that. Especially if you have social media marketing background for small cons that knowledge can be valuable for growth.  

If you understand advanced sewing techniques or clothing construction and show that it might be worth considering to ask if judging might be a possible to be a judge one day. Though the easiest method to show this is I'm afraid is entering competitions or showing costume progress/finished article. Though if you make clothing for a living then that would be an easier method. This also applies with armour costumes. 

7) Early starts are normal. Yes, I'm afraid you might even be hungover, you will still have to get out of bed by no later than 6/7am on the day (unless it's a late starting event). This is usually for set up, team meetings and you will definitely need a good breakfast and I recommend a tea/coffee to help start the day

Side note: Prepare for late nights if you want to hang out with the team. The saying work hard plays hard definitely applies to convention volunteers. 

8) If it's a 2 or 3-day convention across the weekend, Saturday will be the busiest day. I would avoid planning to do your shopping that day and be prepared that it will be all hands on deck.

If it's a 1-day event, see if it's possible to shop before the convention technically opens or if they have priority tickets go then. As long as whoever you are helping doesn't mind you doing this. At close to the end of the day the product you wanted could be gone by then, so prepare for potential heartache. 

9) It's addictive! Helping out at conventions is like pringles, once you work at one, you will not stop. I've helped out at quite a few events around the UK for the past 6 years/7 years and even though sometimes I moan about being sleepy, hungry or someone was rude to me. I won't stop doing it. Each event is different and across every event, you learn new ways to improve or learn what to never do again. (like wearing a costume will high heels while running/sorting out the masquerade)

It won't be enjoyable for everyone helping out but for me personally I get satisfaction when one person says they had a great time with whatever I've helped out at.

10) The friends you make. To me, this is the most important element. You do make awesome friends, you might have tears, heated conversations but you will definitely have the biggest laughs and a friendship that can conquer anything big or small.

I've made countless friends through helping out at events who have grown to be some of the closest I have in the world. We all know each other's weaknesses and how to cheer them up instantly.
Oh, and the in-jokes will be crazy or you will make group names like mine and Matts which is Team Shouty.

BONUS TIP: If you feel your experience of helping out could reflect well in your CV then I would add it. For myself, it's always in my CV due to my career reflects really well due to the fact I work in marketing and sales. 

I'm hoping this helps you guys get an insight into the world of helping at events. It's 10 things that I thought might be helpful to consider if you haven't and I wanted to give a reality check that you will be sleepy, thirsty and a sweaty mess but it's worth it.

But the most important thing is you enjoy doing it. If you enjoy doing it and you work hard at it, it will show.

That's enough of that and will be covering 10 tips on how to host a panel or workshop.
Chevi XxX



No comments:

Post a Comment